Well, pre-season testing is well underway, with several teams having launched their 2008 cars. The Ferrari F2008 was the first to break cover, and I must say that when I first saw it, I felt all funny inside. Perhaps it was because I have been starved of F1 action for so long (only 52 days until the Australian GP!!), but this car was one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. The performance margins in F1 are so narrow now that most cars now have various appendages, growths and bumps to improve aerodynamics, and this Ferrari looked so....advanced. It evoked the same feeling I got when I visited the Great Wall of China, went up the CN tower in Toronto, and every other time where I have witnessed man commanding physics to such a mind-boggling extent. This was nothing compared to the new BMW. This car is something else, with it's sprouty bits all over the place and absolutely massive front wing - this car is a statement to Ferrari and McLaren, "We're coming for you".
Special mention to Honda as well. They have unveiled a car that looks like it was designed in 1996, and with its temporary all white paint job, it had more than a passing resemblance to something I made from Lego when I was younger. Maybe Jenson Button got so frustrated he tried to design the car himself...

0 comments

 If you enjoyed this post, why not subscribe to my full RSS feed for regular updates?